How To Use Nualgi Ponds & Dosage Instructions:
Not sure how many gallons are in your pond? – Use our Pond Volume Calculator
|APPLICATION REFERENCE TABLE|
|Gallons In Pond||Max Amount|
Adding extra will actually reduce the effectiveness. It is better to do half a dose than to overdose.
- WHAT TO EXPECT
- You should see less algae buildup on the pond surface and in the filter. Eventually you’ll be able to reduce the amount you feed fish. If you have floating plants, you should see them thrive and become more colorful. In all ponds water should look clearer with fish more active & vibrant.
- Patience is important with Nualgi. Some ponds clear in a few days, while others can take over 4 weeks. If it has been over a month of dosing and you have not achieved results, please contact us to help troubleshoot.
- In a severely eutrophic ponds, results will be visible by the first afternoon – bubbling up of oxygen, foul odor stops, Blue Green Algae may crash and float up, etc. Water may appear brown or turn green, but that is part of the biological process.
- BEFORE YOU DOSE
- Shake the bottle vigorously and measure out the proper dose. Better to under dose than to add more than the recommended amount.
- Physically remove dead leaves, debris and any algae that you can scoop out before starting the Nualgi dose. Learn more about opening your pond for spring on our blog.
- TIMING YOUR DOSE
- Nualgi Ponds should be dosed every 7 days, preferably in the morning to maximize effectiveness.
- You can use Nualgi Ponds throughout the winter and spring by following dosing on the label. Use reduced dose frequency as the water temperature changes. Below is a guide on how often to apply Nualgi Ponds into your water system.
- 40°-49° – Dose once a month
- 50°-59° – Dose once every two weeks
- 60°+ – Dose once a week with normal instructions
For more tips on preparing for ponds season, please read our guide on spring opening and cleaning your pond.
- ALTERNATE DOSING FOR PONDS WITH SIGNIFICANT ALGAE BUILDUP
- Nualgi Ponds should be dosed every 5 days where algae covers 20% of the Pond. Reduce dosage to once per 7 days after algae drops to 10% of the pond.
- HOW TO DOSE
- Extract the appropriate dose and dilute in appropriate amount of water. It is important to know the volume of water in your pond before dosing Nualgi. Nualgi is dosed at 1ml per 1000 gallons per week in ponds with algae. If possible, Nualgi should be dosed early in the morning.
- For ponds under 5000 gallons with good flow, Nualgi can be dosed directly into the skimmer or the waterfall or some other area of good flow. For larger ponds, dilute the dosage in a jar of pond water and pour it in the accessible parts of the pond by walking around the periphery.
- Store in a dark cool place – Nualgi does not need to be refrigerated but should be stored away from direct light.
Please take pictures and keep records of your water to gauge progress in your pond. Update us on your pond
Every season has its challenges! By following the dosing instructions provided on the Nualgi label you can have excellent results throughout the winter and spring. Proper dosing frequency depends on water temperature.
Here are some guidelines on dosing Nualgi in cooler weather to help your pond maintain a healthy bacteria population:
- Above 50° – Dose Nualgi Ponds every week.
- Between 40° & 50° – Dose Nualgi Ponds every other week.
- Below 40° – Dose Nualgi Ponds once every month.
- Below freezing – If your pond freezes, Nualgi Ponds will not be effective until the water temperature is again above freezing.
Something to keep in mind: Bacteria start to go dormant at colder temperatures. They are only 50% effective at 65° and just 25% effective below 50°.
It is important to know the volume of water in your pond before dosing Nualgi. Nualgi is dosed at 1ml per 1000 gallons per week in ponds with algae. If possible, Nualgi should be dosed early in the morning. For ponds under 5000 gallons with good flow, Nualgi can be dosed directly into the skimmer or the waterfall or some other area of good flow. For larger ponds, dilute the dosage in a jar of pond water and pour it in the accessible parts of the pond by walking around the periphery.
No, you must turn the Iongen ionizer off when dosing Nualgi.
No, you should turn off the UV filter when dosing Nualgi. UV filters are designed to kill certain parasites and harmful bacteria. Unfortunately, they also kill beneficial bacteria, microbes and diatoms in the water column.
Nualgi is designed to create a healthy biological cycle by feeding friendly diatoms and growing beneficial organisms; the UV filter interferes with this process. So, fear not—you can safely turn off the UV filter and let Nualgi work its magic!
You may have to be patient, though. While some ponds clear within a few days, others can take several weeks. Results may not occur overnight, but soon you’ll have a pond that’s sparkling and clear.
Learn more about why we recommend pulling the plug on your pond’s UV
We do not recommend concurrent dosage of Nualgi with other algae control products. Organisms required to naturally balance your pond may be negatively impacted by such products.
Yes, Nualgi + Beneficial Bacteria is completely safe.
You can use Nualgi while using medication although if the medication is such that it is set to kill microorganisms or can set back your biological filter reduce or cease use of Nualgi while using the Pond medication. Do not use with potassium permanganate concurrently with Nualgi.
Nualgi Pond should be dosed every 7 days.
1 ml per 1000 gallons diluted in 100 ml of water.
Physically remove dead leaves, debris and any algae that you can scoop out before starting the Nualgi dose. Extract the appropriate dose and dilute it 10 times in water. Pour the mixture directly into your pond while walking around the periphery. Diatoms are most active immediately after sunrise. Therefore dosing Nualgi in the morning is recommended.
Nualgi Ponds enhances the color and growth of your water garden due to enhanced water quality and availability of micro nutrients.
You may continue to apply currently used additives with Nualgi. Once your water is clear and nuisance algae has died out, you may experiment reducing dosage of such additives.
Nualgi overdose will result in excessive diatoms in your pond. Diatoms not consumed by zooplankton will settle to the bottom of your pond. Overdosing will not lead to a significant negative reaction but is simply a waste of the product.